Saturday 17 May 2014

Restless Soul Syndrome

Restless Soul Syndrome - R.S.S. Ever heard of it? I hadn't until recently. I knew I was a restless soul but I had no idea that there actually was a syndrome about it. It makes sense though, and also makes me feel a wee bit better about myself. Coz in this way, being a restless soul isn't some kind of dreamy state anymore, something for people that lacks responsibility or are careless. It's just the way some people are.
I also read somewhere that having RSS is kinda similar to having AD/HD, but I wouldn't stretch it that far.

Sometimes I can't help but to envy people who are content with what they have in life. Have a steady job, a steady home with a loved one and that's it. Some people are actually happy living that way and I envy their happiness. Some people does not feel the need to follow the horizon, to go see what's beyond the next hill. Some people are happy drinking the same beers every weekend, with the same friends in the same surroundings. Ofc some people like to think that they're happy, but in reality they are not.

Why do I envy that feeling of contentness? A restless soul should be the happiest of souls, right? I mean, we're always on the hunt for the next adventure, we really do chase after our dreams like there's no tomorrow. And once we've got our current goals in place, there's no stopping us from achieving them. But here lies the problem. There are always new goals to achieve, more roads to travel, more things to do, more places to discover. It never ends. We never reach a certain level and become satisfied with what we have. Once you go restless, there's no turning back.


Sure, I am happy with my hunger, my thirst for something more, for adventure and the thrill of going from place to place. But once you stop at some place for too long, you become depressed. Stagnated and bored. Deep inside I search for a place to settle down, for a place I could call my own, for people which I could call my tribe. But will it be possible? Will I ever be able to settle down somewhere, grow roots and be happy about it? I would love to. Some day.

A restless soul is a person that cannot find rest wherever they end up. A restless soul never fells at ease with their surroundings, or with the people they surround themselves with. Coz there's always something wrong. There's always something better. And a restless soul can't help themselves from go looking for it. The drive to move onwards is constant and ever-present. A restless soul is constantly searching for a meaning to live, a meaning for their existence, a meaning for everything. A restless soul knows, deep inside, that there's something more, that life can be better, happier and more adventurous. A restless soul knows that the life we've been thaught to live is wrong and spend the rest of their lives trying to fix it.

Giddy up!

21 comments:

  1. So interesting, thanks for sharing this. I've come to feel/think "restless" and "contentment" are not so mutually exclusive. Being restless shouldn't necessarily indicate one can NEVER be satisfied, but rather knows the thing/s wanted in and around one's life, and what can or should be avoided. Or in another way, an understanding of one's own nuance in relation to good/bad, light/dark, happiness/sadness, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a restlesd soul with a home, partner and kids. I struggle regularly to be content. I need more!!! But I also feel obligated and pulled to be stable for my family. I Compromise with trips to new places, but my family doesn't understand that I need to go alone. I can not explore, submerge and be my truest self with the responsibility of others

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, came across your article whilst searching for the true meaning of restless soul....very informative indeed...thanks for the sharings.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also wanted to know /understand the meaning of restless soul,I am glad that it explains it like how I truly feel thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. This explains why I feel unhappy or should I say lack of content. I have it all, great job, husband, kids, etc..etc and still feel the desire to "move on."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cant believe I found this post after almost 5 years! This is exactly how I felt all these time! Thank you for writing this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow....I thought i was the only one!! I always feel discontentment. I have a pretty good life. Amazing GF, Kid, Job but I always feel like i'm missing out on different things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across this as googled restless soul. I don't know why I am just that, and I wish I was different, content with what I have and what I do.It is never enough, I am never enough.Thanks for sharing this, makes me wonder if there is a fb page about this?Will check, maybe start one if the isn't one...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this but none of the articles I read tell me how to cope or deal with it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe I have RSS I identify with a lot of the things that a person with this has,I find I get bored easy, I am a singer who aspires to be a rock star or at least I want this to be my job I have been married for 19 year's and I have 2 kids. I want to see the world with my family and touring the world singing is what I want to do but with my family the people who I am doing this for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this article, I have always had a restless soul...i remember my mum once saying when I was a youngster...why can you not be happy with what you have?
    My mum has always said I'm headstrong, and now my husband says I'm impatient...
    I'm always looking for more than I have and the bigger meaning to life. Four walls are a cell..and the countryside and out doors, horses have always been my calling..
    I believe my restless soul is due to having romany ancestors, this has never been declared although there are very strong links..I.e my great grandmother was a trapeze artist and an ole time singer with Mary Lloyd...
    My grandad tried his best to be the dutiful husband but a 9 to 5 job...was never for him!
    This was also the case with my Uncle..
    So I always have had a negative mind over who I am and where I'm heading.
    Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel Mathis way since very young. I was thinking who am I , why am here in this world. What am I supposed to be . As an adult now, I feel like there’s always something missing. What is the cure for RSS, now I know what I have at least I have a name for it. Thanks for ur blog.

      Delete
    2. I feel Mathis way since very young. I was thinking who am I , why am here in this world. What am I supposed to be . As an adult now, I feel like there’s always something missing. What is the cure for RSS, now I know what I have at least I have a name for it. Thanks for ur blog.

      Delete
    3. I feel this way since very young. I was thinking who am I , why am here in this world. What am I supposed to be . As an adult now, I feel like there’s always something missing. What is the cure for RSS, now I know what I have at least I have a name for it. Thanks for ur blog.

      Delete
  13. It is even more difficult for me as I am the life of a party, so when I want to be by myself, people think something is wrong. I don't know how else to live and I wish I could communicate this to my loved ones. I just believe we should not live the way people live or have lived, there is so much to see, do and be. I am growing to love who I am, though constantly confused about a lot of things but that fuels my desire to seek answers. I am at peace though...

    Lovely post by the way. It helps me know I am not alone. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me lately but the answers were there all along - I am different and with a restless soul!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg I have always has a restless soul !
    thanks for sharing your stories

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I’ve never know there was other people that felt like this. Thanks for sharing! This helped a lot! I’m so glad I scrolled upon this post:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I have rss cuz I always feel exactly how you described it never happy always feeling like there is more out in the world that I haven't seen or experienced thank you for listening

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you very much for this article this is my current situation almost going insane thinking am not normal at some point thought am even weird now knowing that its not unusual feeling i feel more relieved and alive

    ReplyDelete