Wednesday 19 May 2010

A necessary evil?

Technology, do we really need it for our survival? I know this is a subject a lot of people laugh at, saying "ofcourse we need technology, it makes our lives easier and more comfortable". When I hear comments like that I see before me a scene from the movie WALL-E, when inside the human spaceship and we discover the truth of what has happend to mankind. Everyone is a floating blob of fat(sorry for spoilers). And considering the direction of how things are going today, this is very likely to happen.
I mean, with all this technology, in my opinion, we loose our basic skills for survival. I mean, how many of us, if dropped in the middle of nowhere, say a forest, can survive for more than a few days? I know I can't, but I would love to learn. I can make a fire, but that's about it.
No, I am not excactly fond of all this luxurious technology that literally chokes us in our everyday lives, and still, here I sit using the internet? We are all hypocrites, one way or another.
I can agree that internet is good for creating networks, contacts, spreading information, finding out about events and such, but that's it for me. I use it only as a necessary evil. Or try to atleast. I really do hope that when I finally bail out of this society of "ours" I will be able to leave a lot of this technological "bullshit" behind, I simply disapprove of it's existence.
So, what do I want? Do I want us to go back to the stone age, where we all sat around fires poking eachothers heads with sticks? Might've been fun, but no, I do believe that some inventions might be good, but 90-95% of all inventions are a waste of resources(and even disastrous), "crap" as we might call it, that we do not really need for our survival.
First off, we do not need cars, we do not need airplanes, we do not need ipods/phones, cellphones, comptures and such, yeah you get my picture. I mean, so much human skill is lost with all this technology. I remember when I was a kid I drew all the time, or wrote by hand, long letters to friends(or penpals as we called them back then ha ha) I had all over Sweden, I remember me and my friends we were outdoors, exploring the forests, building huts and such. And if we wanted to meet up with someone, we used a phone that was attached to the wall, called that person, decided on a place where and when to meet, and if someone was late, we waited.
Today, if we don't get a hold of a person withing the next 10 seconds we go crazy, almost insane. And what does kids today do,(not all, but many), they grow up infront of their computers, in a world that is becoming more and more superficial and artificial. We are letting ourselves become controlled by all this technology, we rely too much on it. This is not only stupefying, but also dangerous, not only to us, but also to our environment, nature, mother Earth. We loose ourselves this way.

But here comes another paradox of mine, technology when it comes to dental care and medical care can be good, since it saves lives, only wish it could've been cheaper, or even better, for free. Here we could easily fall into another subject, money, but I will leave that for another day...


No comments:

Post a Comment