Saturday 8 May 2010

Resting my weary feet...

So, here I am, in München, Germany after having rushed through Austria and north eastern Italy in about a week. My feet feels like two clogs of lead and i've lost about 700 euro of income for taking a week off from work. But was it worth it? Hell yes! Every minute of it. I mean, i've hitchhiked, slept in the open beneath the stars, camped on a mountain, stayed for free in an austrian house in the alps and also hostels. Even though it has rained most of the time, leaving me soaking wet(the biggest reason to why I ended up on hostels, except for in Venice where it was more or less impossible to find a place to sleep outdoors, I mean the place is a rock, sorry, many rocks), sometimes I had to sit on my ass for countless hours along the road hoping to get picked up. But it was definitely worth it.
What I lost in material income, I have gained in personal experience and spirit. I've met the most amazing people throughout my speedy journey. Like on monday, I got picked up by this Austrian couple who drove me from Radstadt to Villach via the mountains. The trip ended up with them inviting me for a vegetarian dinner on an Italian restaurant just outside Villach before letting me go. And oh, they presumably have a place in India where they live from time to time and they invited me to come there, work a bit for some food and accomodation. So, India, here I come, presumably next year sometime. Not only that, we also shared an incredible conversation about life, hope and following ones dreams, wich has left me with a lot of insight and positive thoughts. And last night I met this japanese guy who had been travelling nonstop since 2007, he had been working and travelling New Zealand and Australia for three years to able to come here to europe. Haha, he had a male friend that he was gonna marry in Spain so that he could stay here(he wasn't gay, nor was his friend, but a fun and smart thing to do) for longer than 3 months. We also exchanged ideas and thoughts about travelling nonstop and it felt great meeting him. He also gave me a tip about an organic farm in Japan if I would ever go there. Hopefully one day I will.
What can I say so far? Venice was incredibly beautiful(but insanely expensive and tourists everywhere), but it doesn't beat the alps, oh my oh my, there we can talk about dropping jaws. It was the most impressive "thing" I have ever seen so far. Tomorrow I go back to Norway.

Can't wait to see what Africa will be like when I get there in august.

2 comments:

  1. Så fantastiskt allt låter!
    Stort bifall om Venedig, där skulle jag kunna gå i timmar utan att blinka känns det som. Vinklarna, vattnet, konsten och arkitekturen är svårslaget! Hoppas att hemkomsten inte blir ett antiklimax efter din trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are using the hostel computers you will usually have to pay for it by the hour.

    Pousada Ubatuba

    ReplyDelete